M.W. Edward Eugene Fuller 1908
Edward Eugene Fuller
A long career of public service was closed on August 22, 1932, when Past Grand Master Edward E. Fuller was summoned to the Lodge Above. Brother Fuller was born May 13, 1853, in Tolland and attended the public schools of his native town and Woodstock. Graduating from Business College in Philadelphia he entered the employ of the Aetna Fire Insurance Company in 1871. In 1883 he became secretary of the Tolland County Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Here he remained until January 1, 1918, when he became associated with the Phoenix Fire Insurance Company and with which he was connected at the time of his death.
A Republican in politics he was elected State Senator in 1895 and represented Tolland in the lower house in 1909 and 1921. In 1900 he was an alternate to the Republican National Convention and in the following year served as Connecticut Building and Loan Commissioner.
Although never a church member he was a frequent attendant at church meetings in Tolland and Rockville and was a firm believer that our paths lead not to the grave but through it. Never marrying, he devoted his life to the study of literature, collecting a fine library. His interest in the history of the past led him to take an active part in the preservation of everything linked thereto and especially
old cemeteries. His Lodge is indebted to him for the degree of completeness of its records.
On the sixth day of May, 1891, he became a Master Mason in Fayette Lodge No. 69 of Rockville and was its Master in 1895 and 1896. He was exalted in Adoniram Chapter No. 18, April 19, 1892, and was High Priest from 1897 to 1910. Adoniram Council No. 14 gave him the degree of R. and S. M. April 27, 1892, and he served as Thrice Illustrious Master 1894 to 1896. In the Grand Council of Connecticut he was M. P. Grand Master in 1905. Knighted in St. John's Commandery No. 11, June 27, 1892, he became Eminent Commander in 1900 and Rt. Eminent Grand Commander of the state in 1902. He was a member. of Syria Grotto and Sphinx Temple, of the Scottish Rite bodies of Hartford and the Consistory of Norwich. In 1906 he was Potent Master of Charter Oak Lodge of Perfection.
After performing his duties as District Deputy in 1898 and 1899 he was appointed Grand Junior Steward in the Grand Lodge in 1900. In 1908, as Grand Master, he had the most prominent place in the dedication of the bridge between Hartford and East Hartford.
Among the other offices held by Brother Fuller were Worthy Grand Patron of the Order of the Eastern Star, 1912, Noble Grand of Rising Star Lodge No. 49 of Odd Fellows and Master of East Central Pomona Grange 1915 to 1917. His military experience consisted in being a charter member of Company K of Hartford, serving from 1879 to 1884.
His was a rugged character, concealed depth of sentiiment and love of nature, his Country, State and especially the Town of Tolland. Independent in thought he respected another's opinion and retained his regard. He will be long remembered for betterments secured by him and kindnesses of which no record was ever made.
Services were held in the Tolland Congregational Church, Rev. Brother Percy Thomas assisting the pastor, and were attended by representatives from many of the organizations to which he belonged, including a number of Grand Lodge officers. The interment was in charge of Fayette Lodge No. 69.